Categories

Sunday 20 May 2012

Lavender Cottage

It's very rare to find a great restaurant which serves beautiful, simple food with local and seasonal ingredients. Many claim to do so but just don't quite pull it off. I have to say I am a bit fussy when it comes to dining out. I love doing it but often I leave unsatisfied and thinking 'Why didn't I just cook myself a medium rare steak at home properly?' As you can tell this is a big pet peeve along with grated carrots and cheese on the side of my plate claiming to be a salad. What the??!

And so to the review of Lavender Cottage in Albany which I recently dined at one Friday evening. This little cottage has been converted to a French inspired cafe/restaurant that is open for lunch during the day and every Friday night serves dinner. The Friday night meal was very tasty and the best I've had in a long time.. although I don't get out that much. The menu is simple with few options but I still found myself unable to decide, it all looked so good. Here's some of the dishes myself and my other two diners sampled.

Potato Gratin
Beef Carpaccio



French Onion Soup



 Photos courtesy of my sister










Hapuka and Prawns with a bouillabaisse sauce













I had the beef carpaccio and hapuka fish with prawns with a refreshing sorbet as a palate cleanser in between. All the main dishes came with potato gratin and a garden salad with mustard dressing.
I loved loved the beef with shavings of Parmesan and a celeriac remulade on top- nice touch. The fish was also nice but could have done without the rice due to the side of yummy creamy potatoes.

I will definitely be back to this place again and want to try the lunch. I hear they do a fabulous french-style bento box ??!!
Just a couple of extra notes fellow foodies: do book ahead, and this place is cosy and intimate, suitable for small groups and couples. I would probably suggest to get yourselves a babysitter and leave the kidlets at home. Although saying that they do have an outdoor area which is open during the day and great in summer months. I also love their big black dog 'Rembrant' who occasionally makes an appearance.

Lavender Cottage is much I love about a good dining experience in food, service, and setting. They do what they do and they do it well. It is some of the best food that Albany has to offer.


No comments:

Post a Comment